When the wall falls down, will you rebuild it?
Day after day, hour after hour, my sweat, blood, and dreams were but into building that wall. It became my pride and joy. There were flaws, but it was wonderful, it was the wall of our friendship. You helped me polish it, keep it nice and pretty. People near and far were jealous of our wall. It was built on a gradient, the top being very different from the bottom. It held strong and there were no cursory glances to it. Whenever you saw it, you would stand and linger as you drank in its strong structure. Even the most starved of humans became full when they saw our wall, our friendship.
The first crack came slowly. No one knows who started it. I thought it was you, you thought it was me. It doesn't really matter much now, because that crack grew. More and more cracks sprouted from it, like tributaries from a river. It became a gash, cutting our wall, making it scream for its life and cry for our help.
Just to spite you, and you to spite me, we let the wall die. It cried for us, begged for its life. Our sweet, sweet wall died crying for me... for you... for us.
I rebuilt it. I made it higher, taller, and stronger than ever, except this time it was different... This time, instead of building it for you and me, I built it to keep you out. The wall screeched and howled about how evil you were. It tried to suffocate me with mirrors, so all I had was myself.
With my hammer, I tore that wall down. I kept smashing and smashing 'till all the rubble was just piles of dust. My hands bled as I stared at the ruins of the evil wall. It was only when I saw you standing there, watching me from your own pile of rubble, that I smiled.
No comments:
Post a Comment