Pages

Thursday, 9 September 2010

Who wants to live forever? That would be me.

You say I am not immortal. Stop thinking so four-dimensionally! One day, in one time, I will no longer be here. One day, one time, I was not here before I am. But right here I am right now, and right now, I am right here.
Everything ends. Everything dies, from the flower to the tree, from the glow-worm to the star, from thought to memory, from the vast, dark mandala of the universe to the tiny bridges that cling to the abyss between atoms. Does that make them less alive, in that single moment of existence?
Smaller and more insignificant than anything, known or unknown, in Heaven or Earth, and yet greater than everything else in this teeming universe is that one moment of life.
And if the moment - the one in which I have never existed, and then the one in which I exist, and then the one in which I am nothing but a memory - is recreated anew with each heartbeat of the universe, then time is not a smooth film, but a series of images, as if a vast picture illuminated by occasional flashes of lightening, before plunging into unknowing darkness once more, only to be a different picture when the darkness fades.
And if so, "here and now" will be "here and now" forever more, even if there is a new "here and now".
"Here and now" will never be lost. And so neither will I be lost in some great darkness between times. And you... You do not comprehend.
Immortality isn't "not dying", immortality is living forever.
You, the one who sees time as a line, will die. You will die with every heartbeat, as your true self is burned away, and a new true self is formed. And you won't know, and this will be worse than the dying. Because that moment will pass.
One day, you will look at a photograph of yourself, younger, you will see your loves, your friendships and all those groups of others like you, in whose company you used to laugh. And maybe you will realize that what we think is constant is really new and different with each moment. Which is why your empires and rules and marriages and all your little constructs that you said will last forever have fallen. Because you meant that they will last forever in time, but nothing lasts for all time without changing every moment, and every moment that it changes, it will become something different, and, by doing so, will die. And that moment will pass.
But I shall take this moment, and here and now, where "here" and "now" will always and everywhere be "here" and "now", I shall, for all eternity, be here and now.
So yes, one day, there will be a "here and now" without me. But I won't be gone.
Immortality isn't "not dying", immortality is living forever.
And right here, right now, I am eternal.
And right here, right now, I am immortal.

2 comments:

  1. Mare talent ai! Si mare adevar graiesti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eu si Mesia ce spunem lucrurilor pe nume. Multumesc! :)

    ReplyDelete